A passage of the Qur’an worth reflecting and contemplating upon:
25. And indeed We sent Nuh (Noah) to his people (and he said): “I have come to you as a plain warner.”
26. “That you worship none but Allah; surely, I fear for you the torment of a painful Day.”
27. The chiefs who disbelieved among his people said: “We see you but a man like ourselves, nor do we see any follow you but the meanest among us and they (too) followed you without thinking. And we do not see in you any merit above us, in fact we think you are liars.”
28. He said: “O my people! Tell me, if I have a clear proof from my Lord, and a Mercy (Prophethood) has come to me from Him, but that (Mercy) has been obscured from your sight. Shall we compel you to accept it (Islamic Monotheism) when you have a strong hatred for it?
29. “And O my people! I ask of you no wealth for it, my reward is from none but Allah. I am not going to drive away those who have believed. Surely, they are going to meet their Lord, but I see that you are a people that are ignorant.
30. “And O my people! Who will help me against Allah, if I drove them away? Will you not then give a thought?
31. “And I do not say to you that with me are the Treasures of Allah, nor that I know the Ghaib (Unseen), nor do I say I am an angel, and I do not say of those whom your eyes look down upon that Allah will not bestow any good on them. Allah knows what is in their inner-selves (as regards belief, etc.). In that case, I should, indeed be one of the Zalimun (wrong-doers, oppressors).”
32. They said: “O Nuh (Noah)! You have disputed with us and much have you prolonged the dispute with us, now bring upon us what you threaten us with, if you are of the truthful.”
33. He said: “Only Allah will bring it (the punishment) on you, if He wills, and then you will escape not.
34. “And my advice will not profit you, even if I wish to give you good counsel, if Allah’s Will is to keep you astray. He is your Lord! and to Him you shall return.”
35. Or they (the pagans of Makkah) say: “He (Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم) has fabricated it (the Qur’an).” Say: “If I have fabricated it, upon me be my crimes, but I am innocent of (all) those crimes which you commit.”
36. And it was revealed to Nuh (Noah): “None of your people will believe except those who have believed already. So be not sad because of what they used to do.
37. “And construct the ship under Our Eyes and with Our Revelation, and call not upon Me on behalf of those who did wrong; they are surely to be drowned.”
38. And as he was constructing the ship, whenever the chiefs of his people passed by him, they mocked at him. He said: “If you mock at us, so do we mock at you likewise for your mocking.
39. “And you will know who it is on whom will come a torment that will cover him with disgrace and on whom will fall a lasting torment.”
40. (So it was) till when Our Command came and the oven gushed forth (water like fountains from the earth). We said: “Embark therein, of each kind two (male and female), and your family – except him against whom the Word has already gone forth – and those who believe. And none believed with him, except a few.”
41. And he [Nuh (Noah) عليه السلام] said: “Embark therein: in the Name of Allah will be its (moving) course and its (resting) anchorage. Surely, my Lord is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (Tafsir At-Tabari)
42. So it (the ship) sailed with them amidst waves like mountains, and Nuh (Noah) called out to his son, who had separated himself (apart): “O my son! Embark with us and be not with the disbelievers.”
43. (The son) replied: “I will betake myself to some mountain; it will save me from the water.” Nuh (Noah) said: “This day there is no saviour from the Decree of Allah except him on whom He has mercy.” And waves came in between them, so he (the son) was among the drowned.
44. And it was said: “O earth! Swallow up your water, and O sky! Withhold (your rain).” And the water was made to subside and the Decree (of Allah) was fulfilled (i.e. the destruction of the people of Nuh (Noah). And it (the ship) rested on (Mount) Judi, and it was said: “Away with the people who are Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers)!”
45. And Nuh (Noah) called upon his Lord and said, “O my Lord! Verily, my son is of my family! And certainly, Your Promise is true, and You are the Most Just of the judges.”
46. He said: “O Nuh (Noah)! Surely, he is not of your family; verily, his work is unrighteous, so ask not of Me that of which you have no knowledge! I admonish you lest you should be one of the ignorant.”
47. Nuh (Noah) said: “O my Lord! I seek refuge with You from asking You that of which I have no knowledge. And unless You forgive me and have Mercy on me, I will indeed be one of the losers.”
48. It was said: “O Nuh (Noah)! Come down (from the ship) with peace from Us and blessings on you and on the people who are with you (and on some of their off-spring), but (there will be other) people to whom We shall grant their pleasures (for a time), but in the end a painful torment will reach them from Us.”
49. This is of the news of the Unseen which We reveal unto you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم); neither you nor your people knew it before this. So be patient. Surely, the (good) end is for Al-Muttaqun (the pious – See V.2:2)
[English translation: M. Muhsin Khan & M. Taqi-ud-Din Hilali, Surah Hud (Chapter 11)]