Lesson 10 on the explanation of Usool us-Sittah (The Six Principles) is now available. You can listen to or download it here:
The Fifth Foundation
Allāh, the Sublime’s explanation of (who are) the allies (awliyā) of Allāh, and His separating between them and between those who try to resemble them amongst the enemies of Allāh, the hypocrites and sinners. And in this regard, the verse in Surah Āli Imrān is sufficient, and it His saying: “Say if you truly love Allāh, then follow me, Allāh will then love you” (3:31), and also the verse in Surah al-Mā’idah, and it is His saying: “O you who believe, whoever amongst you turns his back on his religion, then soon will Allāh bring another people whom He loves and they will love Him” (5:54), to the end of the verse. And also the verse in [Sūrah] Yunus, and it is His saying, “Verily, the (pious) friends of Allāh, they do not fear, nor do they grieve, those who believed and used to fear Allāh.” (Yunus 10:62-63).
But then the affair, to most of those who claimed knowledge and who claimed to be guides for the creation and protectors of the legislation, became such that they considered it necessary for the allies (awliyā) to abandon following the Messengers, and that whoever followed them, was not from them, and that it was necessary to leave Jihād and that the one who made Jihād is not amongst them, and that it is necessary to leave having faith and piety, and that whoever adopted faith and piety is not amongst them (the allies of Allāh). O our Lord, we ask You for forgiveness and pardon, verily You are the Hearer of supplication.
The text of Usool us-Sittah can be found here: The Six Principles (Arabic and English).pdf
Points or topics discussed in the lesson:
- Fifth principle relates to awliyaa of Allah, who are the true awliyaa of Allah (the pious friends of Allah) and who are those who try to resemble them but are not from them.
- The reason why Shaykhul-Islam Muhammad bin Abdul-Wahhab (rahimahullah) included this great principle.
- In the three ayat (Qur’anic verses) mentioned there is the criterion for who is a genuine walee (pious friend) of Allah from the one who pretends to be from them.
- This principle is not just applicable to who is a walee of Allah and who is a walee of Shaytaan, it also applies to who is a person of Tawheed and Sunnah and a person who is a person of Bid’ah. What is the distinguishing thing that allows us to separate between one and the other?
- People who make a claim, whether they claim to be from the Awliyaa of Allah, or claim to be upon the Sunnah, or claim to be following the way of the Salaf, then all of these things can be tested because the criterion has already been laid down, the Qur’an and Sunnah and the belief and methodology of the Righteous Salaf.
- Who are the Awliyaa of ar-Rahman? Some of the traits and qualities are discussed.
- To be a walee is accessible to every person, to every Muslim. It is not some special club. It is not something that goes through lineage. It is not some secretive elite type of group of people.
- The level of friendship and allegiance to Allah is based upon the level of a persons Eemaan and Taqwa.