Lesson 12 on the explanation of Usool us-Sittah (The Six Principles) is now available.
This is the final lesson. You can listen to or download it here:
The Sixth Foundation
Refuting the doubt that Shaytān placed concerning the abandonment of the Qur’ān and the Sunnah and [instead] following the scattered and divergent opinions and desires. Which is that the Qur’ān and the Sunnah are not known except to a Mujtahid Mutlaq (absolute jurist versed in all sciences), and that the Mujtahid is described with such and such (requirements), with such descriptions that are not even perhaps found completely with Abū Bakr or ʿUmar. And that if a person is not like this (with all such qualities), then he should turn away from them (the Qur’ān and the Sunnah) with an emphasised obligation, in which there is no doubt or difficulty.
And that whoever sought guidance from them (the Qur’an and the Sunnah), then he is either a heretic or a mad person, due to the [alleged] difficulty in understanding them both.
So glorified is Allāh, and by His praise, how much has Allāh explained, both legislatively and by way of [divine] decree, and also [by way of His] creative ability and [His legislative] command, in refuting this cursed doubt, from a variety of different angles that have become general necessities (in knowledge). But most of mankind do not know: “Indeed the Word (of punishment) has proved true against most of them, so they will not believe. Verily! We have put on their necks iron collars reaching to chins, so that their heads are forced up. And We have put a barrier before them, and a barrier behind them, and We have covered them up, so that they cannot see. It is the same to them whether you warn them or you warn them not, they will not believe. You can only warn him who follows the Reminder (the Qur’ân), and fears the Most Beneficent (Allāh) unseen. Bear you to such one the glad tidings of forgiveness, and a generous reward (of Paradise).” (36:7-11 )
And the finality of it is that all praise is due to Allāh, the Lord of the worlds and prayers and many salutations be upon our chief, Muhammad, his family and his companions, until the Day of Judgement.
The text of Usool us-Sittah can be found here: The Six Principles (Arabic and English).pdf
Points or topics discussed in the lesson:
- Discussion of sixth and final principle from the commentary of Shaykh Zayd al-Madkhalee (rahimahullah) and Shaykh Muhammad Amaan al-Jamee (rahimahullah).
- How a doubt appeared which is that the texts of the Qur’an and the Sunnah cannot be known except by a Mujtahid Mutlaq.
- What Mujtahid Mutlaq refers to.
- What this doubt led to.
- Verses of the Qur’an which refute this false futile doubt.
- These six principles have been taken from the texts of the Qur’an and the Sunnah. All Shaykhul-Islam Muhammad bin Abdul-Wahhab (rahimahullah) has done is to write them down because these were the affairs in which the people became greatly misguided in his time.